Sunday 22 September 2013

Goodbye Cempaka Damansara

Goodbye Cempaka Damansara

Had I known on Friday the 9th of September, I would be teaching for the last time in Damansara Campus for the year, I don't know what would have gone through my mind. Of course now, in hindsight, many memories have come flooding back from my own school days at Damansara Campus. But then, my mind was elsewhere. Like probably many other Cempakans I was thinking about the coming weekend, although United wasn't playing, it would be a nice time to rest and get to grading my IGCSE Trial papers. I was also thinking about the week ahead, like most teachers are wired, looking forward to the class activities, the discussions and the lessons I would be delivering.

That all obviously changed very quickly on Friday night. I was relaxing after dinner, enjoying some Splinter Cell(great game!), when I received a call from En Raphael. He sounded worried and confused at the same time, asking me if Damansara campus was on fire. The immediate image that appeared in my mind was a small fire, something trivial that wasn't a cause for concern. I looked out the window of my house which, I think a lot of Cempakans realise from many of Dato Freida's tweets, has a perfect view of the campus.

The image I saw will stay with me forever. Bright and blazing. From my point of view it looked like the entire wing was engulfed in flames. The next few minutes was a blur as I ran to get the keys, into the car and sped to the school. The rest has already been well documented on Twitter, Facebook and our own Schoology.

Probably sometime later that night, I realised that there was a strong possibility I may not be able to set foot in that building for a very long time. That hit me quite hard, and I don't get emotional over many things.

As you know, a few days after the fire, myself, along with your other teachers were in Cempaka Damansara Campus helping to move equipment. Moving from class to class, seeing them empty and bare left a bittersweet feeling in me. I walked the corridors I have always walked since 1990, then as an incredibly cute and fat 5 year old. My tadika days at the canteen level of the primary wing. Std 2 taught by Ms Choo at the office level. Std 6 with Mrs Goh at the IT level (was an old fashioned library back then). Form 1 with Puan Rahimah at the hall level secondary wing. Form 3 with the all star team of Puan Aimi, Puan Sapura and Puan Jamaliah at the link bridge classrooms (no link bridge then either). Form 5 with Cik Zainab, Ms Sandra and of course Mr Sheat next to the IT Centre. Not forgetting my principal then at Form 5, as yours is now, Puan Farah.

Everyone was involved including the cleaners, gardeners, volunteer students, teachers, principals and even Dato Freida herself. A truly family affair. Certain media reported it as "teachers forced to do manual labour". They don't understand us, they don't know us, they are not one of us. They don't subscribe to our values, being of service to others. Yes it was tough, and I am quite sore and have cuts in some places but it was absolutely worth it. How can I justify not helping? My job as a teacher is to ensure you have your education, with everything within my power. Right now, besides our Cempaka@Home, I can do that with my two bare hands. And every desk we moved from Cempaka Damansara, meant one more student's education continues. I am truly proud and honoured to be with your other teachers, shoulder to shoulder, working together to ensure your continued education.

I felt the pain of saying a slow goodbye to a very dear friend.

But then it wasn't so slow. We were already planning to move anyway in 2014. This was sudden and unexpected. Of course the move had to be hastened to get school up and running again, but maybe I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet? Damansara Campus, I've learnt over the last few days, means more to me than I ever realised.

This is where I grew up, in every sense of the phrase. Always quite early to school and staying back late most of the time (I walked to and from school). School holidays spent working in the school bookmart, family dinners listening to my parents discussing school matters and more recently during my summer holidays from university, interning in various departments of the school. That is my childhood. Perhaps some other teens may grumble at the lack of attention(or too much attention?) or show their angst at the loss of freedom. I never saw it that way.

Yes my parents were extremely busy running the school and, except during the later years of my school life, my older brother were at university. I never ever begrudge them that, how could I? A whole school raised me! The school created for myself and my brothers that then evolved into serving other children. That is perhaps the most important lesson I learnt from my parents, that it is not right to sit and demand what is "rightfully yours" or what you think you are entitled to. Your place on this Earth is to be of service to others. Make others' lives better. These values are absolutely core to being a Cempakan. Being of service to others, making a difference in the lives of others.

I love Cempaka. I care for the school. I hurt when it hurts. I know some will think it is ridiculous, how can you love a building or an organisation. Of course you can't. I love the teachers that taught and raised me like I love my own parents. I love all of you students like my younger siblings (not my children okay...I am not that old ...). It may not always seem very obvious with me and my prickly nature sometimes, but it is true!


Furthermore, lets not forget Cempaka Cheras, who greeted Cempaka Damansara's call for help with open arms. As a proud alumni of both campuses, I was incredibly touched by the teachers and students of Cheras Campus helping to unload equipment from Damansara without complaint but with warm smiles and open hearts. Again embodying the values of Cempaka, being of service to others.

We are a family together. We triumph together, we hurt together, and we persevere together.

I know of course its not goodbye for good to Cempaka Damansara, but perhaps its more "see you soon". We will be back, stronger than ever. #cempakaboleh


No comments:

Post a Comment